[tor-talk] [rt.torproject.org #5761] Connecting a browser which is not SOCKS compatible.

Julian Yon julian at yon.org.uk
Fri Nov 2 11:00:32 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2 Nov 2012 00:19:33 -0600
Mason Mack <msnmck at gmail.com> wrote:

> Then I told my Wii to use a proxy with the address 66.66.66.66 on port
> 8118, and to use the proxy for HTTPS connections.  The Wii was
> unable to connect to the internet.  I tried accessing
> http://www.google.com and http://check.torproject.org but was told to
> "check [my] console's internet settings".
>
> Am I doing something wrong, or is it just not working?

Oh, wow. Where to begin? You can't just pluck an IP address out of the
ether and expect everything to just work. I don't mean this to sound
patronising (and I'm truly sorry if it does), but if you don't even
know the basics of IP networking then I'd strongly advise *not*
attempting what you are doing. You are going to compromise your
anonymity. The Tor Browser does all the technical stuff for you and
leaves you to concentrate on being safe. I think it would be
irresponsible to give you a canned solution; blindly following
instructions merely provides a false sense of security. Please just
don't take the risk. :-(

Julian

--
3072D/F3A66B3A Julian Yon (2012 General Use) <pgp.2012 at jry.me>