[tor-talk] [rt.torproject.org #5761] Connecting a browser which is not SOCKS compatible.

Mason Mack msnmck at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 06:19:33 UTC 2012

>That means that you Wii is talking to Tor, while it should talk to polipo.

>Polipo has to listen on your local lan on some Windows or Linux machine.
>It must not only listen on 127.0.0.1, but also on the internal LAN IP.

Is it sufficient to have Polipo listen for the Wii's IP, or should I have
it listen on the whole network?

>Polipo should then forward the traffic to Tor.

If I have the Vidalia Bundle is this handled automatically?

>The other device has to be configured to use the http/https proxy IP and
port provided by polipo.

All of this is turning out to be incredibly unclear thanks to the poor
writing of Polipo's instructions and user guides.  Following to the best of
my ability, I've come up with these changes to the configuration file
"polipo.conf".  I'm sure I still did something wrong.

### Basic configuration
### *******************

# Uncomment one of these if you want to allow remote clients to
# connect:

# proxyAddress = "::0" # both IPv4 and IPv6
proxyAddress = "0.0.0.0" # IPv4 only  ###User Guide said to

proxyAddress = "66.66.66.66"  ###Best I could come up with
proxyPort = 8118  ###Chosen by Polipo

# If you do that, you'll want to restrict the set of hosts allowed to
# connect:

# allowedClients = "127.0.0.1, 134.157.168.57"
allowedClients = "127.0.0.1, 192.168.0.0/24"  ###Not sure if I was supposed
to change this one

allowedClients = 127.0.0.1, 192.168.0.5  ###The latter is my Wii's LAN IP
allowedPorts = 1-65535

# Uncomment this if there's only one user using this instance of Polipo:

#cacheIsShared = false  ###Guide said to

Then I told my Wii to use a proxy with the address 66.66.66.66 on port
8118, and to use the proxy for HTTPS connections.  The Wii was unable to
connect to the internet.  I tried accessing http://www.google.com and
http://check.torproject.org but was told to "check [my] console's internet
settings".

Am I doing something wrong, or is it just not working?