[tor-talk] [rt.torproject.org #5761] Connecting a browser which is not SOCKS compatible.

Mason Mack msnmck at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 19:45:05 UTC 2012

Forwarded conversation
Subject: Connecting a browser which is not SOCKS compatible.
------------------------

Greetings,
     I have followed, to the best of my ability, the guides and manuals
used to connect to Tor through a different device than my relay.  I have
been attempting to connect a Wii console to the internet through Tor.  The
snag is that the Wii only supports proxies through HTTP and HTTPS.  I
thought that if I could connect directly to Polipo through the Wii that I
might be able to filter the connection into something usable by Tor, but
advanced Polipo support for Windows is lacking (or at least in simplicity).
 I can connect my Wii to Tor, but I am greeted with the notice that my
browser is attempting to use Tor as an HTTP proxy, which Tor does not allow.

Is there any such way to connect a device to a computer running Tor if the
device's browser does not support SOCKS?  I was hoping to find a connection
relaying program of some kind, but it's all a bit too confusing.  I'll try
anything, as long as I can understand it.

-Mason