[tor-talk] How to Control middle Nodes?

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Thu May 31 17:36:43 UTC 2012

> windows... VoIP clients I use Phonerlite, it use UDP.
> because of TOR is TCP based, I will use openvpn to
> transferring udp packet through TOR network.
> I will use tor network only without hidden services.

For hidden to hidden, consider using onioncat.

> to connect openvpn and tor i use privoxy as socks5 proxy.

Tor provides a SOCKS5 proxy on port 9050 by default,
so using privoxy just increases latency and config, it
is not needed.

> I need tor bandwidth constantly about 30-34 kbps

There are lower speed codecs in G.723.1 and G.729(A).
Maybe Ogg has plugins too.

> I got 2 calling test with latency less than 400 ms

Latency is the larger problem and testing it is hard since
isolating a single node for through Tor testing can only be
done on the average after discounting the other nodes in
the path. Easier would be doing some GeoLocation and
try to ping prospective nodes in the clear.

> try to find nodes with high bandwidth and low user.

High bandwidth or low user rarely equals low latency.

> I don't know how to set it up.
> in windows, is there TorCtl file?

You will need to create your own circuits using
the Tor Control Protocol on port 9051. Read the
man page and:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree
control-spec, socks-extensions, etc.

You will need to write test and circuit building scripts.
Might as well post them when you're done.

Maybe no one has done this yet...?