[tor-talk] "*.onion" performance tru "onion.to"

Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) lists at infosecurity.ch
Mon May 21 09:13:03 UTC 2012

On 5/21/12 11:02 AM, Jesus Cea wrote:
> On 21/05/12 09:09, Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) wrote:
>> Also via Tor2web, we enabled on one of the node Tor2web mode:
>
>> 1st request: 0m7.705s 2nd request: 0m1.898s
>
>> Please note that currently Tor2web.org is running 2 nodes and only
>> one of them run Tor2web mode with Tor2web 3.0:
>> burninetliliito5.tor2web.org 38.229.70.4 (t2w 2.0 + standard tor)
>> burninetliliito5.tor2web.org 194.150.168.70 (t2w 3.0 + t2w mode)
>
> Could you elaborate? What is t2w mode?

Tor2web is a way to use Tor for Tor2web improving performance:

You need to enable it at compile time with --enable-tor2web-mode .

It remove the number of hops required to connect to a TorHS.

That's because in Tor2web threat model:
- the client accessing the TorHS resource is not anonymous
- the server exposing the TorHS resource is anonymous

so there is not need to "enforce tor client anonymity" in that use-case.

Now imho there is the need to have "volounteer python hacking" on
Tor2web 3.0 code to work on that set of issues
https://github.com/globaleaks/Tor2web-3.0/issues .

If someone want to subscribe to Tor2web mailing list to get engaged
http://wiki.tor2web.org/index.php/Main_Page#Contact

-naif