[tor-talk] Creating distributed social networks with WebId behind Tor

Henry Story henry.story at bblfish.net
Wed May 16 10:18:42 UTC 2012

On 16 May 2012, at 03:21, Ted Smith wrote:

> On Tue, 2012-05-15 at 21:07 -0400, ahmed wrote:
>> On Tue, 2012-05-15 at 22:32 +0200, Henry Story wrote:
>>> 4) this requires every user to have an always on machine
>>
>> Not really. Users can synchronize their data with their friends when
>> they become online, and their friends can pass it to the offline user's
>> friends when they become online.
>
> This is a non-trivial design point.
>
> It's certainly not impossible (very few things in this space truly are),
> but it's hard to get right and introduces a number of problems,
> including security concerns.

It is also possible to imagine that the server you use ends up being the
one hosting your profile, in which case necessarily the server you use would
always be on when using it.

I think those are things one can push back to later research, as it is impossible
to consider all interesting ideas simultaneously. My interest is at present to
see if I can use WebID behind Tor with onion urls.

Henry