[tor-talk] Evercookies / supercookies tracking & No Script whitelisting tracking sites

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Mon May 14 20:48:52 UTC 2012

On 5/14/2012 1:56 PM, Mike Perry wrote:
> The short answer is "Yes, we've looked into it. New Identity removes
> evercookies."...
>
> The footnote is "Please help us test this shit in new releases. We just
> had a race condition on the cache that allowed cache cookies to persist
> for up to a minute after clicking New Identity (though they did go away
> after that)."...
Maybe there should be more discussion about these types of cookies (most
aren't even aware of them or their capabilities), how to PREVENT them -
to extent possible & how to clean them up.  They are NOT easy to get rid
of if they've been placed in many / most of the known locations they can
hide.

Also, FAQ on them.  I read the design links for New Identity &  the bug
links, but I didn't see how that handles ALL the known locations where
evercookies can be placed.
Another view is, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."  I
think educating users how to avoid them, to the extent possible, would
be good.  They're often easier to avoid than eradicate.

I can't vouch for these clean up utilities effectiveness on
evercookies.  I use them, but haven't tested much on evercookies.
BleachBit claims it will clean evercookies (recent versions).
CCleaner (some forum moderators) claim it will clean them, but I
couldn't squeeze out of anyone at Piriform, that CCleaner officially
claims to handle evercookies (meaning, all known "hiding places.")