[tor-talk] testing TBBs

Mike Perry mikeperry at torproject.org
Thu May 3 21:26:38 UTC 2012

Thus spake tagnaq (tagnaq at gmail.com):

> > We are desperately in need of testers and auditors so this never
> > happens in production again.
>
> After the last problem within a TBB release I signed up to tor-qa [1]
> to help with testing and expected something like:
> "hey we are about to release a new version x, download it here, please
> send us your testresults and regression reports"
> on that list everytime before a new release is published, but that
> list was not used [2]
>

> [1] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/3939
> [2] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/4739

Yeah, there is no signup process yet. There's not even a testing process.
Technically, Erinn was supposed to manage a pool of build testers, but she is
also overwhelmed with other deliverables, and this testing process is not an
official funded deliverable.

However, regardless of what funders think, the process is absolutely
critical, as recent events now clearly illustrate.

Now that Sebastian is also officially working on build stuff, my hope is
that between the two of them, we can come up with some process that
works. At this point, any process is better than no process.

Once we have a process and some interested testers, I will jot down a
list of existing test sites that we can use as a stopgap while we figure
out https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/5292 and
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/5750.

> > See also #3846 and consider signing up to test builds in your
> > hardened, auditing setups.
>
> By 'signing up' do you mean, subscribe to #3846 or how does the 'sign
> up' process look like?
>
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/build/BuildSignoff

You did the right thing. Adding yourself to Cc on
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/3846 will keep you
appraised of the process as it materializes.

> Where does one get the info that a new version is about to be released?
> Where are pre-releases available for download?

I'll leave that to Sebastian and/or Erinn to decide.

--
Mike Perry