[tor-talk] Azureus cannot work with Tor

Martin Hubbard Martin.Hubbard at gmx.us
Fri Mar 23 21:32:41 UTC 2012

On 03/23/12 04:09 AM Mike Cardwell wrote:

>On 22/03/12 20:31, proper at secure-mail.biz wrote:

[replying to Simon Brereton]

>>> Does this advice apply if your torrent client can and does
>>> use a proxy properly?
>>
>> Short answer: Yes. Long answer: see below.
>>
>>> If so, why?
>>
>> Due to protocol leaks.
>> Read https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorifyHOWTO
>
>If your machine doesn't know its public IP address (because
>of NAT) and all of its outgoing TCP traffic is forced over Tor
>(using TransPort), and all of its non-TCP traffic is dropped,
>then it is safe from any such protocol leaks.

That's also true, I believe, if one runs a torrent client (or whatever) on a VM that connects only through a TCP-based VPN service (anonymous, paid with mailed cash) which connects through Tor.  The VPN will handle all traffic from the VM, whether it's TCP, UDP or whatever.  That's not the case if one routes Tor through a VPN, by the way.  However, one can use VPNs on both ends of Tor, without much additional penalty.  But I can't imagine why anyone would want to torrent through such a kludge.  Using multiple nested VPNs is argumentally anonymous enough for most purposes, is much faster, and doesn't waste Tor's bandwidth.