[tor-talk] An external application is needed...

andrew at torproject.is andrew at torproject.is
Sat Mar 10 13:52:11 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 09, 2012 at 03:17:46PM +0000, toruser0000 at gmail.com wrote 0.8K bytes in 22 lines about:
: I was always wondering why I get the following pop-up message when
: downloading a file. And it does not happen all the time. Why it says that
: an external app is needed when only opening the download window?

If I recall correctly, it's because firefox doesn't distinguish between
type of file until late in the process, which is too late for torbutton
to catch and anonymize the request. I believe Mike's only solution
was to catch all downloads, warn the user, and let them decide if they
understand what they are downloading, from .exe to .dmg to .txt files.

All I can find in 5 minutes of searching is
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2010-June/011611.html.

--
Andrew
http://tpo.is/contact