[tor-talk] How to contribute / takeover a sub project?

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 07:02:22 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 6:27 PM,  <proper at secure-mail.biz> wrote:
> ... What I mean by taking over is, when you go on torproject.org, you see "Our Projects"...

note that Tor VM is not on that page. ("taking over" Tor VM would not
grant you a spot ;)

>> [virtual box device support]
> Fortunately they fixed that. Everything, internal, bridged, NAT. All networking is working out of the box in VirtualBox.

for a redistributable installer / portable app you'd need to build
virtualbox from source with different visible content. otherwise, it
may finally be suitable. (only other question is if the signed drivers
for windows can be redistributed with a custom build of vbox itself.
kernel acceleration is useful, this was a major pain point with Qemu!)

>> i am fond of "there is only one
>> mode, and it is secure." approach.
>
> Perhaps if we were to fork VirtualBox (Portable(apps) Edition) and disable the critical configuration buttons, but that looks like a lot of work (patch it, keep sync with upstream).

yes; it would be better to have a controller / wrapper around existing
VirtualBox so that it could be launched in a robust mode of operation
automatically, so there is no need for manual steps the user may not
perform correctly.

for redistribution, you may need to make some slight changes for
builds but nothing like a fork.

> One idea:
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorBOX/Dev/ClientVM#VirtualBoxPortableinsenseofportableapps.com
>
> Other ideas welcome...

there are a lot; was reviewing
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorBOX/Dev too :)

> I though it's better to take over an old project, than starting a new one. Amongst other TorVM/JanusVM and their lack of progress motivated me to start TorBOX.

they're pretty different. if there are aspects of Tor VM that would be
useful in TorBOX the license is permissive and owned by The Tor
Project, Inc. (excluding the third party components it is based of off
like openwrt, etc. of course)

the only parts that seem relevant may be the controller for windows or
the openwrt builds for the Tor-Gateway.ova like functionality.

TAILS is likely another great resource, although i know much less
about that system.

best regards,