[tor-talk] TBB linux-x86_64-2.2.35-7.2: "undefined symbol: gtk_widget_set_realized" on RHEL-like distros

Ondrej Mikle ondrej.mikle at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 12:23:35 UTC 2012

Hi,

I've noticed that TBB linux-x86_64-2.2.35-7.2 won't start the browser. After
some debugging, the reason is that it depends on gtk2 >= 2.20 which contains the
symbol gtk_widget_set_realized (RHEL-like distros have gtk2 2.18.9).

The issue popped up on Scientific Linux 6.2, but other RHEL-like distros have
the same gtk2 version according to databases like rpm.pbone.net.

Unfortunately simple 'ldd -r firefox(-bin)' won't catch it, it seems libxul is
dlopen()-ed or loaded in a similar fashion.

Could you please build the next TBB against gtk2 <= 2.18.9? (unless XUL or other
dependency prevents it)

If possible, it would also be nice to have output from Firefox put into console
when start_tor_browser is executed with "--debug". I see that Vidalia's
HelperProcess::onReadyReadStandard(Error|Output) calls some logging via
vApp->log(), but I can't find out where it ends up (I guess it's due to debug
level of "info" only?).

Thanks,
  Ondrej