[tor-talk] Tor Traffic Overhead

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 19:59:31 UTC 2012

> which is on average the traffic overhead of Tor traffic respect to
> non-tor traffic?
> I mean, if i make a 1MB transfer in an HTTP session without Tor, how
> much data will be transferred with Tor, so in % which is the overhead?

I'm sure you could make your system quiet, watch your packet/byte
counters, download a few different things (youtube videos, FreeBSD
iso's, whatever), on and off tor and post the results.
You could do the same with a fixed browsing session (many small
html) instead of single data files. Clear your cache, etc.

Encrypted data can be much less if the algo compresses it first.
A bit can be added for each stream due to key exchange.
Then there is routing setup.
Your results will say more.