[tor-talk] Repercussion from turning every Tor user into a hidden service?

proper at secure-mail.biz proper at secure-mail.biz
Tue Jun 12 14:56:26 UTC 2012

<peter+tor at metaverse.org> wrote:
> On 8/06/12 9:53 AM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
> > Great questions.  And does hosting a hidden service exposé the machine
> > penetration attacks?
> Yes, if those services are vulnerable whether they're running as a Tor
> service or not.
>
> The other concern is that hidden services expose information about the
>
> system that the hidden service is running on, i.e. a http server that
> lists the operating system that it's running on, or a daemon that shows

Does not apply to this question. I asked only about adding an unused Tor hidden service port. No http server software. No other server software.

The pure hidden service shouldn't tell anything about the operating system. Actually it wouldn't even reply anything?

The only added vulnerability were the Tor virtual hidden service port, which were running vs. not running. No additional non-Tor software.