[tor-talk] What is 127.0.69.0?

Hansen Jay jhanse at yandex.com
Mon Jul 23 19:25:13 UTC 2012

Hello,

I happened to see some hidden service name resolution that torsocks was giving as 127.0.69.0 which I never read about, so I telnetted to it and it's like another entrance point to Tor, or at least my hidden services(?). I'm a little confused. Can anyone clarify?

Followup question- is this IP address static and safe to use somewhere like /etc/hosts?

Not much comes up in a web search but it looks like torsocks tordns_deadpool_range is the key? So torsocks uses arbitrary addresses in that range as "tickets" to translate back into a certain hidden service? torsocks actually binds and listens on those addresses?

So that means I can't use it in /etc/hosts because I have no way to know ahead of time what hidden service will get what address?