[tor-talk] torsocks, usewithtor, torify questions - end the confusion!

Hansen Jay jhanse at yandex.com
Sun Jul 22 23:27:35 UTC 2012

22.07.2012, 15:53, "grarpamp" <grarpamp at gmail.com>:
> Torsocks docs are woefully in need of work to match the code. And you may find
> yourself better off if you ignore the scripts and write your own. All
> you really need is:
>
> LD_PRELOAD=/.../libtorsocks.so TORSOCKS_CONF_FILE=/.../torsocks.conf
> TORSOCKS_DEBUG=1 "$@"

Are you sure TORSOCKS_CONF_FILE because most of the man pages I read say TORSOCKS_CONFFILE???

> server_type = 5

I was questioning why this defaults to 4. I know torsocks is supposed to force DNS resolution through Tor, but SOCKS4 doesn't support resolution. But it doesn't mention if its really SOCKS4a. So I changed it to 5 like you, but why the default 4?