[tor-talk] Tor and the National lottery in the UK

Nick Brooks nick at almostfinished.org
Wed Jul 18 16:21:36 UTC 2012

On 18/07/2012 16:55, Geoff Down wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012, at 04:14 PM, Nick Brooks wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> This is my first post here so 'Hello'
>>
>> I have recently discovered that The National Lottery in the UK is
>> preventing me from accessing their website (despite the fact that my
>> account has funds in it) because I run a Tor node from my IP address and
>> that I have to not run Tor for six months before they'll allow me to
>> access my account.  They do this because they claim I might be outside
>> the UK and use a piece of software made by Neustar to 'geolocate' me.
>> It doesn't cause me a major problem because I can use my phone (probably
>> from anywhere in the world)  to access the site but I thought people
>> might like to know.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Nick
> Hi,
>   are you running an exit relay or just a middle node? They are blocking
>   middle nodes too, perhaps you could explain to them the difference.
> GD

I'm just running a middle relay which means my IP address never changes
and that no-one else ever appears to be using my IP which makes their
decision even more ridiculous.  Communicating with them is like getting
blood out of a stone, it took me 4 phone calls and a dozen email just to
get them to tell my why I was being blocked.