[tor-talk] Hiding stuff

antispam06 at sent.at antispam06 at sent.at
Sat Jul 14 09:21:12 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012, at 23:25, proper wrote:
> For people who really can't abstain from Flash / Java it's the best
> option I know of.

It does sound wonderful. But it sure needs a powerful machine. A CPU
designed for lower power consumption and thus battery maximisation can't
scale well with two virtual boxes on top of the OS.

> > How does this project relate with Tails for example?
>
> Different thread model, target user group, history and features.
>
> Tails is an respected, established live CD. Based on Debian and Tor.
> When Tails gets rooted, the users real IP address can leak.
>
> TorBOX is an anonymous general purpose operating system. Based on Ubuntu
> and Tor. Persistent. Young project. In TorBOX's thread model the client
> (TorBOX-Workstation) can be compromised and there will be still no IP or
> DNS leaks. The only way to connect is through the TorBOX-Gateway. [1] [2]

Isn't Ubuntu a little bit too large, at least for the Gateway?

> > How does VirtualBox
> > relate with other emulators?
>
> Master thesis anyone? There is probable a lot to say.
> - Virtual Box is free and open source
> - nice user interface
> - supports internal networks
> - does not emulate (much), but virtualize (faster)
> - cross platform
> - fast
> -
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorBOX/SecurityAndHardening#AboutVirtualBox

So there wasn't a master thesis anyway ;-) I have tried VirtualBox
yesterday. Quite painful on my hardware unless it's TinyCore or Puppy
Linux.