[tor-talk] TorBirdy 0.0.10 released - testing and feedback requested!

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Thu Jul 12 15:13:53 UTC 2012

Hi!

TorBirdy 0.0.10 is now out and it's probably safe enough to be used by
mere mortals. It's still quite experimental - of course. Use as your own
risk!

Call for help:

We're looking for assistance with Translations - if you'd like to
translate TorBirdy, we'd gladly accept a patch that prepares TorBirdy
for translation work.

Release Highlights:

0.0.10 Thu, 12 Jul 2012
  Don't check for messages on start up
  Now includes patch in source for upstream date header modifications
    Apply patches/date.patch to a custom Thunderbird compile
  Use SSL/TLS by default for both outgoing and incoming servers
  Disable 'Get new account' from loading at startup
  Set default server ports
  For already configured email accounts, disable automatic email fetching
  For accounts created through the manual account configuration, disable
  automatic email fetching
  Added support for resetting user preferences on extension uninstall
  Various privacy fixes as suggested by Karsten N

General content anonymity caution note:

TorBirdy has known leaks in the Message-ID and in the Date header, we're
working on merging an upstream patch that will allow these leaks to be
closed. There are no known proxy leaks unless you use additional
extensions that do not respect the proxy settings of Thunderbird

Here's the wiki page for TorBirdy:

  https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/torbirdy

Here's the latest XPI for TorBirdy:

  https://github.com/downloads/ioerror/torbirdy/torbirdy-0.0.10.xpi

Here is a proper GPG signature for the latest XPI:

  https://github.com/downloads/ioerror/torbirdy/torbirdy-0.0.10.xpi.asc

Here is the sha1sum of torbirdy-0.0.10.xpi:

  1128abf9b6c3177aefd4ca513f768b7a80aa27b4

The plugin on AMO has been rejected and so we are now re-requesting
review. Please use the above links to download TorBirdy.

In the near future, we plan to upload a full XPI and GnuPG signature for
every new release to the Tor Project's web server:

  https://www.torproject.org/dist/torbirdy/

All the best,
Jacob