[tor-talk] hidden service on same location as public service

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 20:15:15 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 7:25 PM,  <proper at secure-mail.biz> wrote:
> <juenca at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> i'm wonder if it makes any sense to allow users to access a public web server
>> access normal at same time as hidden service on same machine?
>
> Yes.
> - saves exit bandwidth
> - will continue to work even if all exits are shut down
> - exit policy/ports do not matter
> - more diversity

It's also useful to run as an exit enclave for these purposes. You
configure yourself as an exit but only to your public IP address.
Then tor nodes will switch to using you to exit to you even when they
use your non-onion address.

There are advantages and disadvantages of exit enclaves vs onion
hosts, but I don't see a reason to not do both on a site which is
accessible both on the public internet and as a onion hidden service.