[tor-talk] Bursts of 'many circuit creation requests'

Andreas Krey a.krey at gmx.de
Sun Jul 8 09:39:35 UTC 2012

On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 10:41:32 +0000, Gitano wrote:
> Did you reboot your dsl router? IIRC, there was a similar problem when I
> run a Tor relay behind my Fritz!Box (AVM).

Nope. The DSL router is NetBSD/sparc, and it doesn't NAT; the tor relay
machine has its own public IP, so many TCP connections don't consume
ressources on the router. Earlier occurrences of this were dealt with
at most a restart of the tor process.

> > This is 0.2.3.12-alpha running on a pretty lowly AMD Geode 500 MHz.
> > I've taken the tor node offline for a few more hours.
>
> I don't think that the cpu is the limitting factor. My Tor relay is
> running on such a machine (Alix-Board) too, (bandwidthrate 64000 B)
> without problems.

The problem seems to be that circuit setup requires much more CPU
than regular connection processing, and there seems to be no way
of limiting the number of circuit setups I am willing to do (except
that the CPU itself won't process more).

I'm more interested in why I get smothered in circuits all of a sudden.

*

One thing I notice: When I open a connection to a hidden service, the
first thing is a frenzy of circuit building; probably to find/reach
a rendezvous point. Do I just happen to get elected as a rendezvous
point for a popular hidden server?

Andreas

--
"Totally trivial. Famous last words."