[tor-talk] Tor plus VPN (was re: Hi all!)

Christopher J. Walters cwal989 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 22 12:46:34 UTC 2012

On 1/22/2012 05:51 AM, proper at tormail.net wrote:
>> 2. What is the best way to use a VPN with Tor to increase anonymity?
>
> Others have already made a few statements about Tor plus VPN.
>
> You can do you -> VPN -> Tor, or you -> Tor -> VPN maybe even you -> VPN
> -> Tor -> VPN?
>
> And you can stop using Tor as a (socks) proxy and start using Tor as a
> transparent proxy.
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TransparentProxy
>
> you -> your own VPN server -> Tor
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorVPN
>
> in this case a simple Tor-Gateway could be more easy
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorBOX
>
> If you like further information you could tell a bit more why you want to
> use Tor plus VPN.

Actually, I know little about VPN.  I was asking, in the hope that I could
learn more - and also it was suggested (I'm not sure where) that using a VPN
with Tor was better than either alone.  Maybe it would help if someone
explained VPN - its good and bad points.

So the replies I've received are what I was looking for, mostly.  I just want
to be anonymous when browsing the web - if Tor alone can accomplish that, I
will be satisfied.  Too many companies track everything you do on the Internet
(including ISPs), then sell that information.

Chris

---
Virus Database (VPS): 120122-0, 01/22/2012
Tested on: 1/22/2012 7:46:35 AM