[tor-talk] IDEA: Compress traffic at exit

Sebastian G. <bastik.tor> bastik.tor at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 20 19:34:27 UTC 2012

Hi, it's me again.

I got another idea.

I don't understand what works and what has to be done exactly. I'm not
an developer. I don't understand the technical background as well as
needed to predict my changes to the specs.

It's written in the form of a proposal, but it should not be treated as
such. I just used this from to have something that helps to make it
cleaner compared to free form. It's an idea.

I started writing it down yesterday.

Below I've pasted the Overview and Motivation. The full version is attached.

Overview:

   This is about compressing traffic at the exit, where it's passed from
   outside the network through other relays to the client where it
   gets decompressed.

   The compression should happen on the fly.

   This is NOT about which compression is actually used.

   It's an idea. It outlines what has to be done, but not how.

Motivation:

   The network has a high bandwidth usage due to it massive user-base.
   This idea should reduce the outgoing traffic of the exit and take
   much load from the mid-relay and the entry point.

   The relays (exit or not) have certain bandwidth limitations which may
   could be circumvented by compressing the traffic they have to handle,
   which would mean that they could handle more users.

   The main motivation is to improve the performance of the network,
   e.g. to serve more users and remove bottlenecks.

Regards,
bastik_tor

ps.: there's nothing piled up, no ideas left to tell you, yet.