[tor-talk] tor-bundle , ssh , torsock howto ?

Maxim Kammerer mk at dee.su
Fri Jan 20 19:06:05 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 14:03, J. Bakshi <bakshi12 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have tor-browser-bundle running. how can I use ssh with the tor running
>> inside this browser bundle ? I have installed torsocks already. Is torsocks
>> is better ? Confused... Please help.

tsocks/torsocks is an LD_PRELOAD hack (with the supposedly safer
torsocks spouting out unnecessary warnings), so it is better to avoid
using them when possible.

ssh supports proxification via an external program. Specify
  ProxyCommand /usr/bin/connect -S 127.0.0.1:9050 %h %p
in your ~/.ssh/config (substituting 9050 with the Tor SOCKS port), and
install or manually compile the "connect" proxy:
http://www.meadowy.org/~gotoh/ssh/connect-r100.c (net-misc/connect
package in Gentoo, connect-proxy in Debian).

--
Maxim Kammerer
Liberté Linux (discussion / support: http://dee.su/liberte-contribute)