[tor-talk] A secure browsing model?

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 05:32:22 UTC 2012

There is a need to be logged into multiple popular sites at the same
time (facebook, google, yahoo, twitter, etc). These sites tend to
have all sorts of cross links between them (image embeds, cookies,
etc) that I don't want. I want none of them to be aware of the other.
So I can't just open up a browser and tab them all out.

Two options seem to fit:

1 - Create separate Firefox profiles for each, start them all up.
This eats a ton of cpu/ram as it has to be one process per login.
And it runs out of desktop space too.

2 - Find a browser that firewalls the tabs from each other (SSL
session keys, cookies, DOM, scripting, data, metadata, etc)...
everything compartmented within its own tab.

AFAIK, firefox is not capable of this, at all.

I read Google Chrome treats tabs as processes, but I don't know if
their isolation is considered safe? ie: On the same guaranteed par
as Firefox profiles seem to be.

For that matter, I don't know how good Firefox profiles are. But
so far it seems clean. But XUL, XPC?

Any thoughts on Chrome or a better model than [1] above.