[tor-talk] How to make 100.000 bridge?

Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) lists at infosecurity.ch
Sun Jan 15 15:58:17 UTC 2012

On 1/15/12 3:37 AM, andrew at torproject.org wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 07:43:41PM +0100, lists at infosecurity.ch wrote 2.0K bytes in 51 lines about:
> : On 1/14/12 5:38 PM, arpooya wrote:
> : > Yes, it's really a problem to find a tech-savvy person to run a private
> : > bridge outside the censored regions. Recently, I wanted to test
> : > obfsproxy and that adds to the problem! I had to find a person having
> : > enough time and knowledge to configure an obfsproxy server out there!
>
> This is why we created the bridge-by-default packages. Just download
> and run. It's likely to work without needing to configure anything.

That's nice, but it's something that have the following limitations in
terms of scalability respect to a web-app:
- Many end-user connectivity is not typically internet-exposed (have to
do manual mapping on *DSL/Cable/Fiber modem)
- end-user have to leave their PC powered-on 24/7
- It require maintenance, end-user should have to keep up-to-date with
Tor version (receiving a newsletter, downloading the software, upgrading
the software)

So, very lazy supporter, that would just drop a PHP file on it's
webroot/wordpress and forget, would still be out of crowd-support to Tor
network.

Lazyness rule the world!

-naif