[tor-talk] How to install tor in Linux just as secure as tor-browser-bundle ?

Ondrej Mikle ondrej.mikle at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 20:30:25 UTC 2012

On 01/14/12 18:56, Tor Relays at brwyatt.net wrote:
> For some reason, FireFox doesn't do DNS resolution over SOCKS proxies
> (this is a known bug). Using an HTTP proxy (such as Polipo) will fix this
> (you have to also set FireFox to use it). The following tutorial should
> help, but the basic idea is to install Polipo, and have it connect to the
> Tor SOCKS proxy. http://www.stormfront.org/forum/t807851/

Actually, Firefox does not use SOCKS for name resolution only in default setting
(unless you are talking about different bug). There's
"network.proxy.socks_remote_dns" in about:config, which needs to be set to true.
And even with this setting addons may cause FF to leak DNS queries (e.g.
"@mozilla.org/network/dns-service;1" component).

Another important detail I noticed is that TBB does not launch plugin-container
process *at all*, so no binary plugins or addons with binary components work
(not just java and flash). Even unchecking the "disable plugins" option in
TorButton settings won't make binary compoments work (I wonder how they managed
this).

> On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 20:27:45 +0530, "J. Bakshi"<bakshi12 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> What Should I do here ? I have not found privoxy/socat/polipo in tor
>> bundle package. So what step do I need to configure
>> my locally installed tor to make it as secured as tor-bundle. Also
>> interested to have Aurora browser as it has specially tweaked
>> for tor. Is it safe to simply download the aurora from net ?

First, look at TBB's TorButton settings and modified entries in about:config. I
think this is the code repo used for building TBB:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/torbrowser.git

So you'd have to build TBB yourself anyway (or manually tweak Aurora and addons
with whatever settings are specified in the build scripts).

Ondrej