[tor-talk] Country statistics details

Andrew Lewman andrew at torproject.org
Thu Jan 12 17:35:50 UTC 2012

On Mon, 09 Jan 2012 10:47:17 +0100
"Fabio Pietrosanti (naif)" <lists at infosecurity.ch> wrote:
> i wanted to ask the list, what do you think about improving the
> statistics for the country of use of Tor, so that there would also be
> an additional regional details for large countries?

We used to do this inside Vidalia, via a hidden server/tor-accesible
geoip lookup. However, it was run by the original Vidalia developer and
it went away when he graduated university.  See
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/shutting-down-vidalia-geoip-mapping-server
for the announcement about us shutting it down.

It basically provided city-level resolution of tor relays, not clients,
for the Vidalia Network Map.

It would be a nice project to ask people if they want city-level data
for tor relays and include the extra geoipdb download as part of the
installation. The city geoip db is around 30 MB.

--
Andrew
http://tpo.is/contact