[tor-talk] Tor exit+proxy

hmoh at Safe-mail.net hmoh at Safe-mail.net
Sat Jan 7 06:21:12 UTC 2012

> On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 1:00 AM, Maxim Kammerer <mk at dee.su> wrote:
> >> Now imagine the idea Tor + open proxy gets promoted because the devs encourage that with a new option like Tor + your personal extra proxy chain... That wouldn't give Tor more credibility as it would be even harder to stop abuse form it.
> >
> > Don't see why a Tor user should care about Tor's credibility in this scenario.
>
> A few thoughts on this user-->Tor-->open_proxy-->website chain.

Thanks. They're all good.

> The
> main reason why very few people run exit nodes is because abuse
> complaints and raids.

Indeed.

> If for example a tor exit node exiting only on port 80, could relay
> all its traffic through an open proxy (or many open proxies),

Do you mean 1) the exit node admin should setup to use an open proxy to protect him? Or 2) do you mean if the users would in some cases set this up their self?

For case 1) this wouldn't be the most wise thing to do... Explanation...

Those open proxy lists... Well, my guess how they are created... Some people are scanning the internet and if they find an open proxy they'll add it to the list. But it does not mean the admin of the open proxy is aware that he is hosting an open proxy. In many cases open proxy's are just misconfigured home or enterprise networks. Few are probable hosting them for evil reasons and a minority for good reasons (want to give anonymity to people out of the goodness of their heart like some tor node admins).

Not sure it's a good idea or legal to use someone as proxy without his consent, even if it's an open proxy from an open proxy list it can not be sure he is aware of that. Not sure if that would be good for the reputation and legality of Tor.

For case 2)
Good for exit node admin, less complaints, for the reasons you already explained below.

Difference case 1 and case 2? Case one is on purpose and case 2 is "normal abuse".

> then the
> abuse complaints will go to the open proxy admin and not to the tor
> exit node admin.

> You would think that the open proxy admin will
> redirect the abuse complain to you, or give your IP to the feds.
> Maybe, but maybe not. Open proxys admins probably handle much more
> abuse complaints than tor exit node admins. They will probably ignore
> it. Some will not, but in the end the exit node admin will receive
> much more less complaints.

Yes.

> This will not only help in recruiting new exit nodes but also making
> some middle switch to exit.

Depends if you meant 1) or 2).