[tor-talk] "Invalid Server Certificate" accessing torproject.org on Chrome/Windows

Greg Greg at alumni.brown.edu
Wed Jan 4 06:40:27 UTC 2012

Hi,
I searched google for people having problems accessing torproject.org
from Chrome on Windows, but I didn't see much besides a discussion on
December 21 about an outage
(http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.network.tor.general/2514).

I can access torproject.org from Firefox on my windows (server 2003)
machine, but not from Chrome. I get an "Invalid Server Certificate"
error and it doesn't let me continue.  Any ideas what might be wrong
with my Chrome/Windows setup?

The details about the certificate says "The integrity of this
certificate cannot be guaranteed. The certificate may be corrupted or
may have been altered". It's issued to "*.torproject.org" and issued
by DigiCert High Assurance CA-3.

Broken combination:
*Windows Server 2003 w/ Chrome 16.0.912.63 m
*Not that I ever use IE, but testing this out: IE 8 on Server 2003
doesn't work. It says "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage".
I don't read much into this because it's in its default "hardened
security" setup where a lot of sites don't really work.

Working combinations:
*Windows Server 2003 w/ Firefox 9.0.1
*Mac w/ Chrome 16

Thanks,