[tor-talk] Real basic questions for linux

Øyvind Sæther oyvinds at everdot.org
Tue Jan 3 16:44:26 UTC 2012

> I have tended to find that the packaged tor is virtually always
> behind and so I get notices that there is a new version and I should
> upgrade but with no means of doing so because all that is available
> is the browser bundle.

As already pointed out, these pages:

Debian: https://www.torproject.org/docs/debian
RHEL derivitaves: https://www.torproject.org/docs/rpms.html.en

let you use Torprojects own packages for your distribution. Some
distributions like Gentoo provide recent packages.

There is also the source available here:

https://www.torproject.org/download/download.html.en

Just ignore the Browser bundle bullshit, that's for stupid Windows
users and pointless on *nix systems.

If you really want to always use the latest version then you can

git clone git://git.torproject.org/git/tor

and make a cron job which does git pull in the newly created directory
and compiles.