[tor-talk] Cannot finish handshake with directory server (Kazakhstan)

Andrew Lewman andrew at torproject.org
Wed Feb 29 02:09:03 UTC 2012

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 12:26:03 -0500
Collin Anderson <collin at averysmallbird.com> wrote:

> Please forgive this comment in being tangental; I am increasingly
> interested in how Kazakhstan is moving and hope to be involved in
> bringing more to light on the matter.

Right. If it's not one vendor, it'll be another. And new ones will
spring up to fill the demand. I tried to talk to Huawei in Canada at a
conference, but they were all about 'the enterprise' and didn't know
anything about the ISP people, as they are different divisions.

I'm mostly interested in the technology, not where it is deployed. Back
in the day, I used to deploy dpi devices to protect a global corporate
network. Anomaly detection, or one massive bayesian good|bad filter, was
all the rage when I left the enterprise world in 2009. I'm sure this
is coming after the dpi craze. It's been interesting to see 'enterprise
dpi' deployed on a country-sized scale. Depressing at times, but
interesting.

--
Andrew
http://tpo.is/contact