[tor-talk] Tor directory servers

Bravo 76 bravo76 at live.co.uk
Sun Feb 19 21:47:47 UTC 2012

> The correct way to do it is to fetch the descriptors and look at
> their exit policy. Whether a given relay is an exit router is not a
> boolean thing:
> https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq.html.en#ExitPolicies
>
> Run your own Tor client (using Tor 0.2.2.x), and look in your datadir for
> the consensus file and the descriptors. You can read about the formats
> in the dir-spec.txt file in the torspec git repository.
>
> And if those sentences didn't make sense, maybe you should take a step
> back and explain what your script is trying to do?

The script would fetch the the latest tor exit node fingerprints and loop through each one connecting to www.example.com.FINGERPRINT.exit via SOCKS5.A failed connection means the fingerprint is discarded whereas successful ones means it is added to a database of usable tor exit nodes.
I see a descriptors list with fingerprints and exit policies. If I understand you correctly then I would have to check the exit policy section of each tor router (accept / reject / ip / port) to determine whether it's an exit node and able to satisfy my connection request.