[tor-talk] Adblock Plus and Ghostery should be included in Tor bundle

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Mon Feb 13 18:58:40 UTC 2012

On 2/12/2012 7:39 PM, AK wrote:
> I think Ghostery + Adblock Plus + No Script is overkill. Choose one. They
> all pretty much do the same thing. Block nasty javascript. No Script seems
> appropriate for the Tor Browser due to it's default aggressive stance on
> any javascript.
>
> But just curious, which part of Ghostery is closed source, because when I
> open up the xpi I don't see any binaries, but haven't looked at everything.
There may be some overlap of functions, but they each perform (at least
some) very diff functions.  That becomes clear when read the basic
description of each extension.
I honestly DON'T know if NoScript, appropriately configured, can do
everything that AdBlock and / or Ghostery can, because it is a very
complex extension, even for above avg users.  If one is a "No Script
Guru," they may know the answer.

One question is, even if NoScript can be configured to "do" everything
AdBlock & Ghostery can, would those be appropriate settings for Tor
users?  Even though NoScript is included in TBB, users changing all
sorts of default settings isn't necessarily a good idea, w/o knowing
(through accurate testing) all implications to anonymity of TBB.  That's
just for NoScript.  We have no idea of ALL implications of using AdBlock
Plus & Ghostery, much less all 3 together.  Unfortunately, I've seen
very little documentation from Tor Project about changing default
settings in NoScript.

I'd personally like to see some "official" Tor Project documentation on
configuring * some * NoScript settings in TBB.  Even if it said
something like, "Except for options XYZ, leave everything else in
NoScript the hell alone."