[tor-talk] Adblock Plus and Ghostery should be included in Tor bundle

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Mon Feb 13 01:30:16 UTC 2012

On 2/12/2012 6:53 PM, Ted Smith wrote:
> The problem I see in Tor adopting AdBlock as a default-installed
> plugin is that it allows the controller of that list to censor
> websites without oversight. I think if AdBlock is installed by default
> in the Tor Browser Bundle, the list configured should be run by the
> Tor Project, since we have to trust it anyway if we're using its
> software.
Good point, but that would result in another "project" for Tor Project
to develop & maintain.  Many would agree w/ you & some of Tor devs *
might * (in theory), but I wonder how realistic that undertaking is
currently?  Perhaps if funding for Tor Project were much larger & there
were many more developers.

Right now, many AdBlock users are upset because it's developers have
decided to "allow some non intrusive" advertising, by default (though
users can opt out).  If Tor Project DID develop something like this,
it'd probably be better for Tor users than installing untested addons.

I have no idea if this is feasible, but could someone from Tor Project
approach (any) appropriate developers about developing (or allowing
branches of) these or any other addons that Tor Project thinks are truly
useful?  It's true these 2 aren't open source.

The issue of these 2 addons needing to update lists (during an anonymous
TBB session) can be solved by turning off automatic updates in the
addons' options - yes?