[tor-talk] Adblock Plus and Ghostery should be included in Tor bundle

Ted Smith tedks at riseup.net
Mon Feb 13 00:53:42 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-02-12 at 07:53 -0800, Brian Franklin wrote:
> The Adblock should be configured to work and not need setup. Select a
> few good lists and have them automatically in. This will save users
> the time of doing it themselves and help people who don't know how.

For on this list who are not familiar with AdBlock, it is an
advertisement blocking program that downloads pattern blacklists. Any
URL that would be requested matching a pattern is not requested (to the
best of my understanding). These blacklists are updated automatically on
some regular schedule.

The problem I see in Tor adopting AdBlock as a default-installed plugin
is that it allows the controller of that list to censor websites without
oversight. I think if AdBlock is installed by default in the Tor Browser
Bundle, the list configured should be run by the Tor Project, since we
have to trust it anyway if we're using its software.