[tor-talk] Unsafe for Tor?

Phillip equusaustralus at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 10:35:22 UTC 2012

> Phillip wrote the following on 02/09/2012 06:33 PM:
>> I've had the same problem when I routed my e-mail client to send
>> everything through Tor (via SSL/TLS of course ;))... When I logged on to
>> Gmail (and Facebook for that matter) via the web interface, it would
>> challenge me to prove my identity...
>>
>> Now I just run my whole connection, including my Tor node, through a
>> VPN :)
>>

> That sounds like what I need to do to keep my bank and credit card co.
> from challenging me all the time! Can you give me a reference to
> something that lays out how to set up a VPN to do that?
>
> TIA!
> Gramps

I use the VPN from riseup.net, it's free with their e-mail service but
you need to 'apply' for an account and wait a few days... The best
commercial VPN service I've found is on www.mullvad.net, it's based in
Sweden with no IP logging, unlimited bandwidth and you can even pay
anonymously with BitCoin. They have a simple installer for every
operating system, including Linux. Free to try for three hours, 5
euros/$7 per month thereafter, and worth every cent! ;)