[tor-talk] Make Wifi available through Tor?

Andrew Lewman andrew at torproject.is
Mon Dec 17 21:56:09 UTC 2012

On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 21:13:45 +0000
tor at lists.grepular.com wrote:

> I wouldn't let my mother do her online banking over Tor without
> explaining to her exactly how it works, and making sure she
> understands what she is doing. Even if a bad exit node didn't SSL
> strip her connection, she could still find her online banking access
> frozen due to accessing it from IPs in unexpected countries.

For one piece of data, I've been doing everything via tor for three
years now. I have yet to have a problem. This includes banking and
filing my taxes in the US.

> If I were to offer a free Torified WiFi hotspot, I'd feel obliged to
> put up a splash page explaining how it works, and force people to
> check a box to state they understand, before they are given access to
> browse anything else. I normally hate those sorts of splash pages, but
> in this case, I would make an exception.

In past conversations with lawyers, if you throw up a splash screen and
require the user to choose I agree/do not agree, this becomes a legal
contract and you become liable as a service provider. It's better to
leave it completely open, or maybe the captured portal is info only,
and the user can read/ignore/bypass the portal with ease to continue
browsing.

Fine ideas, just the same.

--
Andrew