[tor-talk] 'cached-descriptors' replaced with 'cached-microdescs'

Andrew Lewman andrew at torproject.is
Wed Dec 12 18:51:07 UTC 2012

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 23:39:38 +0530 (IST)
basmati kasaar <baskas at indiatimes.com> wrote:

> 'atlas.torproject.org' appears to contain very, very little useful
> informations and no informations on specific exit port availability
> per router.

The full exit policy is on atlas, here's a current exit relay:

https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/4E377F91D326552AAE818D5A17BC3EF79639C2CD

In general, the current tbb package upgraded tor from 2.2 to 2.3. This
is a major new version in the tor world. What you're seeing in current
tbb with tor 2.3 is that microdescriptors are now live and stable.
These were implemented to reduce tor's bandwidth usage. The
specification and motivation are here,
https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/blob/HEAD:/proposals/158-microdescriptors.txt

> Would it be so difficult to make available on torproject.org like was
> on serifos 6 yrs ago?
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/20060718235801/http://serifos.eecs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/exit.pl

Yes. It's a bad idea. If someone wants to run that script themselves,
great. You'll also notice someone at harvard.edu ran it, not us.

Creating single points of failure on which the world of tor users
relies is bad for everyone all around. We already have this problem
with check.torproject.org. We're working to replace
check.torproject.org with a safe, local solution.

--
Andrew
http://tpo.is/contact