[tor-talk] Vidalia Bundle (Tor, Polipo & Vidalia)

David H. Lipman DLipman at Verizon.Net
Fri Dec 7 23:37:02 UTC 2012

From: "Sebastian G. <bastik.tor>" <bastik.tor at googlemail.com>

> David H. Lipman:
>> I wanted to update my Vidalia Bundle (Tor, Polipo & Vidalia) but I could
>> NOT find the
>> software I have traditionally used.
>>
>> I want to use Tor mainly for its Proxy capability and no-where could I
>> find the Vidalia
>> Bundle which contains Vidalia, Tor and Polipo.
>>
> You can use the TorBrowserBundle (TBB), it contains Tor and Vidalia. The
> downside is you would have to launch the TorBrowser (Firefox with some
> patches and addons) although you don't plan to use it as browser.
>
> At the current state you have to start the browser and if you close it
> Tor and Vidalia will exit. That was supposed to be changed so that Tor
> and Vidalia would keep running and Tor could be used for other traffic
> or just for (re-)starting the TorBrowser only when needed without
> bootstrapping again.
>
> All the other Vidalia Bundles (Bridge/Relay/Exit) contain Tor and
> Vidalia. So you could download the Vidalia Bridge Bundle, install it and
> change the settings in Vidalia* to be a client only. (If you aren't
> comfortable with helping censored people or your system isn't up long
> enough, or for what ever reason)
>
> *Settings > [Sharing] > "Run as a client only"
>
> Polipo was removed from the bundles. If your software requires a proxy
> because it can't speak socks you can install it on your own. People
> should be knowing what they are doing or use it for their special cases...
>
> It can be started when Vidalia starts
Settings >> [General] > "Start a proxy app... when Tor starts"
> check it and point to the executable.
> You can pass arguments to the proxy if required.
>
> Regards,
> Sebastian (bastik_tor)

Danke.

At this time I have downloaded the TBB and extracted the DLL and EXE files
for Tor, OpenSSL and Vidalia and copied the respective updated files to
their "C:\Program Files\Vidalia Bundle" respective locations.

I am ONLY interested in the Tor Network and Proxy association on
127.0.0.1:8118.  As noted, I am not alone in this application of the
traditional Vidalia Bundle.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp