[tor-talk] about tor entry node

esolve esolve esolvepolito at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 20:43:08 UTC 2012

2012/12/7 Sebastian G. <bastik.tor> <bastik.tor at googlemail.com>

> esolve esolve:
> > I have some questions about tor entry node
> > when a Tor node is used by a Tor client as entry node, how can this node
> > know that it is used as an entry node?
>
> I would have said because of the cells a client sends, but I couldn't
> find a document to verify my claim. (I'm not reading the specs very often)
>
> > besides, why do Tor designers want to let the entry node know that it is
> an
> > entry node?
>
> Generally:
> Entry nodes get the Guard flag so clients know among which nodes they
> can pick as their entry points. (Currently three entry guards, that
> might change in the future)

you meant each client can only have 3 entry guard candidates?
how many entry guards are there in the whole tor network and how are they
allocated?
can entry guards be used as normal relay nodes?

> On each case:
> The Tor network is public (beside the bridges) so you know every node
> and therefor their IP addresses. Every IP that connects to you, which is
> not in the list of IP addresses you know, has to be either a client or a
> bridge.

actually there are many good conference papers presume that the attacker
takes control of an entry node and exit node, then blabla.....

so maybe their assumptions are just wrong at the beginning!?