[tor-talk] Vidalia Bundle (Tor, Polipo & Vidalia)

David H. Lipman DLipman at Verizon.Net
Thu Dec 6 14:40:05 UTC 2012

From: "Julian Yon" <julian at yon.org.uk>

> On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 08:39:05 -0500
> "David H. Lipman" <DLipman at Verizon.Net> wrote:
>
>> From: <andrew at torproject.is>
>>
>>> We stopped distributing polipo a while ago, see
>>> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/6039 for the
>>> progress in getting the references off the page.
>>>
>> Not happy about that.
>>
>> I guess I will NOT update the software and Tor Browser bundle is NOT
>> what is wanted at all.
>>
>> For example I uses the combo of Tor, Polipo and Vidalia with Malzilla.
>
> Nothing stops you pointing your browser at your own copy of Polipo[1]
> and pointing that at Tor's SOCKS port. Or skipping Polipo (as it's no
> longer a technical necessity) and pointing your browser directly at
> Tor. Having said that, the Tor Browser *is* Mozilla, with a handful of
> patches and a couple of preinstalled addons. If you're experienced
> enough to understand the implications of not using the default setup,
> then you're experienced enough to take what's in the bundle and
> configure it some other way. And if you really can't spare the 35M that
> the superfluous browser takes up, then delete it!
>
> Julian
>
> [1] http://www.pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr/~jch/software/polipo/

I depended upon the Vidalia Bundle which provided Tor and Polipo with the
Vidalia GUI.  I don't use "my own copy of Polipo" nor is it my intention to
use it with with a Browser.

I took advantage of the Tor & Polipo combination where Vidalia managed the
connection and setup and ease of editing of configuration files.  Once I ran
Vidalia I could use it with Malzilla http://malzilla.sourceforge.net/ (not
Mozilla) or with a WGET command line such as...

WGET  proxy=--execute=http_proxy=http://127.0.0.1:8118/
c8.uk3.in:5754/kx/uy.exe

Or with any other software that can use a Proxy.  Something that is needed
with GeoIP specific sites or sites that memorize and log IP addresses that
have already accessed said site.  Getting a new IP was as easy as selecting
"New Identity" in Vidalia.  Thus the trio worked symbiotically for the
application requirement.

There was no announcement of a change in tor.announce and it should NOT be
assumed that we read https://blog.torproject.org/blog .  I am not the only
one who uses (has used) the traditional Vidalia Bundle in the fashion I
described.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp