[tor-talk] William was raided for running a Tor exit node. Please help if you can.

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Dec 5 07:39:11 UTC 2012

----- Forwarded message from "Naslund, Steve" <SNaslund at medline.com> -----

From: "Naslund, Steve" <SNaslund at medline.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 16:44:47 -0600
To: nanog at nanog.org
Subject: RE: [tor-talk] William was raided for running a Tor exit node. Please
	help if you can.

A lot of guys have the same names, I did not assume that you are related
to Jessica Simpson or Bart Simpson for that matter.

Maybe I did not see you at NSFnet because I was working with DDN which
was established a full two years before NSFnet.  So what?   Does the
fact that I worked on the precursor to the Internet and NSFnet make me
more credible than you?  I was not aware that in order to be credible on
NANOG, we had to meet you at some point.  They did not tell me that at
the Pentagon or when I got my engineering degrees.

I also have great respect for the Tor engineers,  it was great work.  I
just don't have respect for the idiots that sometimes use Tor.  I also
have great respect for the guys who wrote sendmail and don't blame them
every time I get spam.  What I don't have any respect for is the "I was
here first (you weren't)", name dropping (I know the Tor guys), know it
all (that does not know that a lot of what people do does not show up in
google).

For those of you who care about credentials.  I have been working on the
Internet and its predecessors since 1985.  Of course that has absolutely
nothing to do with the credibility of what I say because time does not
always equal knowledge.  As soon as you assume you are smarter than
everyone else in the room you can be assured that you are not.

Steven Naslund