[tor-talk] William was raided for running a Tor exit node. Please help if

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Dec 4 20:20:00 UTC 2012

----- Forwarded message from Joe Greco <jgreco at ns.sol.net> -----

From: Joe Greco <jgreco at ns.sol.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 13:57:38 -0600 (CST)
To: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Cc: "nanog at nanog.org" <nanog at nanog.org>
Subject: Re: William was raided for running a Tor exit node. Please help if

> > This is a misleading statement. ISP's (Common carriers) do not provide a knowingly

I'm trying to remember when ISP's became common carriers...

> > illegal offering, ... TOR  exit/entrance nodes provide only the former.
>
> This is also a misleading statement.  Explain the difference between
> a consumer ISP selling you a cable Internet plan knowing that NN% of
> the traffic will be data with questionable copyright status, and
> 1 of of 5 or so will be a botted box doing other illegal stuff,
> and a TOR node providing transit knowing that NN% will be similarly
> questionable etc etc etc.

Great point.

The question might also revolve around this issue, restored from the
previous msg:

> > AND they do provide the PHYSICAL infrastructure for
> > packets to be passed and interconnected to other PHYSICAL networks.

Well, an ISP does do that, but so does an end user's network.  So if
I put a Tor node on an ethernet ("PHYSICAL infrastructure") and then
connect that to an ISP ("other PHYSICAL networks"), that doesn't make
for a real good way to differentiate between an ISP, a commercial ISP
customer who gets routed IP networks via BGP, or an end user who has
an ethernet behind a NAT gateway.

... JG

----- End forwarded message -----