[tor-talk] suggestion for start-tor-browser in GNU/Linux

Julian Yon julian at yon.org.uk
Mon Dec 3 13:21:26 UTC 2012

On Mon, 3 Dec 2012 12:04:33 +0100
Aaron Webster <awebster at falsecolour.com> wrote:

> Hi all, I have two suggestions regarding the start-tor-browser script.
>
> First, the tarballs should expand in to distinct directories.
> Currently tor-browser-gnu-linux-i686-2.2.39-5-dev-en-US.tar.gz and
> tor-browser-gnu-linux-x86_64-2.2.39-5-dev-en-US.tar.gz both expand to
> tor-browser_en-US.  This is confusing because it is important to
> identify the different versions: the i686 bundle will start correctly
> on x86_64, but the browser will subsequently not launch.

What makes you think that? Linux amd64 runs i686 software just fine, as
long as you have the 32 bit linker and libraries installed. On Debian
and Ubuntu just installing the ia32-libs package is enough to get TBB32
running.

Of course, unpacking to different directories (I'd personally like
versioned dirs) could be useful anyway, but not for the reason you
suggest.

Julian

--
3072D/F3A66B3A Julian Yon (2012 General Use) <pgp.2012 at jry.me>