[tor-talk] William was raided for running a Tor exit node. Please help if you can.

Anne P. Mitchell, Esq. amitchell at isipp.com
Sat Dec 1 19:28:41 UTC 2012

> Example of an actual warrant:
>

> https://www.eff.org/sites/default/files/filenode/inresearchBC/EXHIBIT-A.pdf

Please also keep in mind, if it's relevant, that *no warrant* is required for data that is stored by a third-party.  Data on a server, TOR or otherwise, would by definition be data that is stored by a third party.  Which means that if there is a person of interest (POI), it would not be terribly hard to get at personal information about the POI that is not on their own private machines.

(Here is an article we wrote about that:  http://www.theinternetpatrol.com/no-warrant-necessary-for-law-enforcement-to-access-data-stored-in-the-cloud/ )

> Not a lawyer.

Is a lawyer, but hasn't been following this thread.  That said, if there are specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them if I can.

Anne

Anne P. Mitchell, Esq
CEO/President
Institute for Social Internet Public Policy
http://www.ISIPP.com
Member, Cal. Bar Cyberspace Law Committee