[tor-talk] tor browser without tor

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Fri Aug 31 01:42:44 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 05:46:03PM -0500, SnakTaste wrote:
> Hi, I normally use Thunderbird & Firefox trough Tor w/instructions
> from "Toiyfy" & Tor button,

What is "Toiyfy"?

Whatever it is, it is unlikely to have good instructions. :)

> the last update from Firefox made Tor
> button to send several message errors, making almost impossible to
> navigate at all.

Yes, that's correct. Mike decided he couldn't maintain Torbutton's toggle
mode in the face of Mozilla's new release schedule. I can't blame him.

So, to be clearer, Torbutton is no longer intended to be run in your
own Firefox.

> I'm aware of the benefits of using the Tor browser, the problem is
> that I barely use firefox, the main use I have from Tor is with
> Thunderbird, so I have to use Tor (via Vidalia) almost all day long,
> which makes using Tor browser a problem, because it launches a 2nd
> instance of Tor.
>
> Is there any way of launching Tor Browser without Tor?
> Or... is there going to be an update in Tor button?

The recommended way to do this is to use Tor Browser Bundle (and not
any other Tor thing). If you don't want to use a browser for anything,
then just ignore the browser that comes up. If you want to use something
else like Thunderbird with this Tor, then on Windows you just configure
it to use localhost port 9050, and on Linux or OS X see
https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq#TBBSocksPort

You should also be aware that you're probably screwing up your privacy at
the application layer if you use Thunderbird with Tor. The new "Torbirdy"
extension is a good start, but it sure isn't a complete solution yet.

--Roger