[tor-talk] [Tails-dev] Please review Tails stream isolation plans

intrigeri intrigeri at boum.org
Wed Aug 29 14:04:49 UTC 2012

Hi,

Nick Mathewson wrote (29 Aug 2012 13:22:36 GMT) :
> I'd need an actual list of applications to think about
> IsolateDestAddr.  Which ones did you have in mind?

Thank you for having a look.

The main network applications shipped in Tails, that would get
IsolateDestAddr according to our plan, are:

  * Claws Mails (replaced with icedove / Thunderbird, some day)
  * Pidgin
  * Liferea RSS feed reader
  * Gobby

Then you have a few command-line ones such as wget. Also, some
software that is not SOCKS aware, such as APT, goes through Polipo (to
be replaced with Privoxy, some day).

Basically, that's it.

Note, however, that Tails users may choose to install whatever they
want from the Debian archive, or hand-compile whatever they feel like,
but I doubt the ones who will do so, and unfortunately pick
applications that don't play well with IsolateDestAddr, will be that
many to make a measurable difference.