[tor-talk] Tor already running

Aaron Paden aaronbpaden at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 21:10:47 UTC 2012

On 08/24/2012 03:03 PM, Robert Ransom wrote:
> On 8/23/12, Aaron Paden <aaronbpaden at gmail.com> wrote:
>> This is a simple issue, but important. The script should check to see if
>> Tor/Vidalia is already running and just open the browser. As it is, if I
>> close the browser, come back some time later, and click the Tor icon, it
>> results in an error because Tor is still running in the background.
>
> This is rather hard to do reliably and safely from a shell script, but
> other people have asked for this feature too.  See
> https://bugs.torproject.org/6023 .

Sorry about that. I would have searched the tracker, but I didn't see
it. I was thinking for a second there that you didn't have one.
Sometimes I fail at using the Internet.

So I'm not an expert in shell or anything. I know there are a lot of
gotchas. It seems like it should be possible, though. Is there something
wrong with using pgrep or something?

 >> can't open urls from other applications with the browser for the same
 >> reason.
 >
 > No, this is because TBB-Firefox has to be started with the -no-remote
 > option so that it won't conflict with a non-TBB Firefox.
 >

 > Robert Ransom

Oh. I got no ideas for that. :/