[tor-talk] Tor already running

Aaron Paden aaronbpaden at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 18:13:09 UTC 2012

On 08/24/2012 05:36 AM, bao song wrote:
> If you built your package from scratch in some version of Unix, you'll
> have to close Tor manually. People who know how to build packages from
> scratch in Unix are expected to know how to close Tor manually, and/or
> how to hack the Browser source code so that closing the Browser also
> closes Vidalia and stops Tor.

Are you a dev for the browser bundle? Your expectations are unrealistic.
Most people using Linux do not build their own packages, they use
packages built for them by the distribution maintainers. Some
distributions will patch packages to suit their needs, but others don't
make decisions that should be made upstream as a matter of policy and
only provide vanilla packages.

I'm making a suggestion for the official package. That is allowed,
right? This is an open-sourced project, right? You're in luck, though, I
do know some programming/scripting. I'll look into the problem myself if
you're interested in a patch.

IMO, the ideal behavior is that tor will continue running. Some people
use the proxy for other applications. The script should check to see if
Vidalia is already running, and if so, just launch the browser. If you
prefer the behavior be consistent with Windows, though, I'll do that
instead.